Here’s the thing: I don’t like having facial hair. I don’t think I look good with stubbles or a moustache. I have nothing against them, really. I just think I look better with a clean and smooth face. This is the reason why I take special care when it comes to my facial hair. So much care, in fact, that I even went as far as getting regular laser hair treatment before. I was just forced to stop as my schedule no longer permits me drive an hour just to get the service.
So here I am, back to shaving.
I used to use a regular razor (the ones you get in Watsons) until I learned about electric shavers (the ones barbers use). The latter really made it easier for me to remove unwanted facial hair but I really don’t like how it irritates my skin every time I use it (think dry skin with rashes—and no, not even an aftershave helps). So I looked for a better option. One that I can use at the comfort of my own bathroom. This is how I stumbled upon Philips AquaTouch Wet and Dry Electric Shaver. This baby retails for PhP7,999.
I’ve been using it for a month now and I absolutely love it. I know it’s a bit pricy, but let me tell you why I think it’s worth every penny you’re spending on it.
1. It does not irritate your skin. Like I mentioned, one issue I have with regular electric shavers is the fact that it irritates my skin. This one does not. Regardless of the type of head I’m using (there are two), what I get is a clean shave minus the redness. I think it’s because of the fact that it’s really flexible and adheres to the shape of your face. And of course, it’s made by Philips, which is known the world over as the leading brand for electric shavers. According to people, you can use this shaver every day without worrying about it causing damage or irritation to your skin. I’m lucky I don’t have to shave that often, but still it’s comforting to know that there’s a product out there you can use daily.
2. It’s a handsome device. Just look at it! The design is very reflective of the kind of engineering that went into it. One look at it and you’ll know that the AquaTouch Aquatec Wet and Dry Electric Shaver is meant for serious performance. It also features a great rubber grip, which allows you to maneuver it even against your face’s curves with ease.
3. Lasting battery. Been using this device every other day for a month now and I only had to charge it once. According to the packaging, it delivers up to 40 minutes of shaving with a single charge. I honestly did not time my usage of it, but I think this promise is more or less true.
4. Easy to clean. All men can relate to this! We all hate having to clean our blades after shaving. This one is as easy as it gets. You just run the head through running water several times and you’re good to go. The device is waterproof so you don’t have to worry about damaging it during cleaning.
5. Shave with or without foam. I personally need to always have foam when I shave as my skin tends to get irritated easily. I have friends who like to skip using foams as it takes up too much of their time. For guys like them, this device is perfect for you. I tried using the AquaTouch Aquatec Wet and Dry Electric Shaver without foam and still no irritation.
6. Precision shaving. I know people who like to go to the barber regularly to have their beards contoured a certain way. Guess what? With the AquaTouch Aquatec Wet and Dry Electric Shaver, you no longer have to do this! One of the heads provided in the box is a trimming attachment, which allows you to shape your beard, sideburns and moustache the way you want to.
If there’s anything bad to be said about the AquaTouch Aquatec Wet and Dry Electric Shaver, it’s probably just the fact that a razor shave still does a better job at making sure your face is as a hair free as possible. But then again, the device offers a very decent and smooth shave easily, safely and without irritating your skin (things that you can’t avoid but be troubled with when you do razor shave).
My verdict: the AquaTouch Wet and Dry Electric Shaver is worth its price and every man (or woman) who is looking for a safe, non-irritating way to keep unwanted hair at bay should get it.